Monday, December 31, 2012

Submissiveness in Prayer (Al-Khushoo' Fis Salah) part 4

Asalamu alikum

Du'a

We should seek guidance and help from Allah for proper and submissive prayer. The Prophet Ibrahim (as) used to make the following du'a:
"O Lord! Make me and my offspring of those who establish regular Salah. O our Lord, and accept my supplication." Qur'an 14:40

To Act Upon and Spread Knowledge
We all have knowledge. Some have a little, some have a lot. We will be asked as to what we have done with it. Act upon it and use it for your benefit and the benefit of others. Offer what knowledge you have to others, even something as simple as telling someone to say Bismillah. The Messenger of Allah (saws) said:
"He who calls people to righteousness, there would be reward assured for him like the rewards of those who adhered to it, without their rewards being diminished in any respect. And he who called people to error, he shall have to carry the burden of its sin, like those who committed it, without their sins being diminished in any respect." Related by Bukhari

There is indeed great difference in he who learns and spreads what he learned and he who does not.

As the Prophet (saws) said:
The example of guidance and knowledge with which Allah has sent me is like abundant rain falling on the earth, some of which has fertile soil that absorbed rain water and brought forth vegetation and grass in abundance. Another portion of it was hard and held rain water and Allah benefited the people with it and they utilised it for drinking, making their animals drink from it, and for irrigation of the land for cultivation. And a portion was barren which could neither hold the water nor bring forth vegetation. The first is the example of the person who comprehends Allah's religion and gets benefit (from the knowledge) which Allah has revealed through me and learns and then teaches others. The last example is that off a person who does not care for it and does not take Allah's guidance revealed through me. Bukhari
It is without doubt that khushoo' in Salah is one of the greatest assets a Muslim can possess in his faith. It comes with struggle, perseverance, and patience and is obtained only by those who work for it, who really set their sights where they should be.
It is related by Hatim bin Al-Asam that he said in answer to a question about prayer:

"When the time for prayer is at hand. I make a proper ablution, go to the spot where I attend to pray and sit there until all my limbs and organs are in a collected state. Then I stand up to perform my prayer, placing the Kabah between my brows, the bridge over Hell beneath my feet, Paradise to my right and Hell to my left, and the Angel of Death behind me, thinking all the while that this is my final prayer. Then I stand between hope and fear. I carefully pronounce "Allahu Akbar!" Then I recite the Qur'an harmoniously, bow in humility and prostrate myself submissively. I then sit back on my left haunch, spreading out the left foot, raising my right foot on the toes. I follow this with sincerity. Then I wonder whether or not my prayer has been accepted.

Excerpt from Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship - by Al Ghazali
So, as we can see by this example if we could imagine ourselves in this same position, which we are really in though we can't see it visually, we would soon make the realisation that this prayer of ours is of the utmost importance.
We as Muslims, must not only be willing to commit to Islam but we must be ever ready to sacrifice our desires for what will be best for us - in the long run. We should always reflect on the life of the Prophet (saws) and the companions, their struggles and (in this life) very few personal accomplishments - by worldly standards. Their sights were always focused on what they would hopefully achieve in the next life and for the success of the Deen . Make this your aim, not the aim of what you can achieve in this world because you and it will pass away, all that you achieve here other than for Allah (swt) is worthless to you.
So don't waste time - this truth is available to all who sincerely seek it. Now you have your priorities right - your goal is set

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Prepared for the Hour?...part 2

Asalamu alikum On the other hand, the Prophet (saw) has also described to us those people who perform the deeds of Paradise until ...